Early Bird Winter Home Preps
A blog article about winter? It’s not even fall yet!
We know, you may think we’re a bit nuts to already be discussing winter, but like the old proverb goes, “It’s better to be safe than sorry.” News stations have been talking about this year’s Farmers’ Almanac calling for a colder-than-normal winter. At Mister Quik, we always prepare for the worst even though we hope it never happens. We urge homeowners to do the same. Taking preventative steps while the weather is still mild means that you will be better protected from dangerous and costly winter repairs.
Prepare Your Home For Winter
Here are a few things to keep in mind about your home’s HVAC, plumbing and electrical components as summer fades and we get ready for colder weather in central Indiana.
- Don’t forget your furnace. It probably hasn’t been used for a few months, so now is the perfect time to have your furnace inspected and tuned up. We previously talked about the importance of annual furnace safety.
- Get those gutters clean. It’s a messy job, we know, but cleaning out gutters and downspouts in the late summer and again in the fall helps keep them free of debris and prevents dangerous ice dams. Remember that scene in Christmas Vacation?
- Ready the roof. While you’re up there, inspect your roof and repair any damaged shingles. Look for signs of leaks and remove any debris like fallen branches or the occasional football.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat. The cost of upgrading to a programmable thermostat is often recouped by the energy savings a household can see on its utility bills. If you already have one, make sure the settings are accurate and up-to-date for winter.
- Limit those leaks. Check for air leaks around the house and patch them up using caulk and weatherstripping. Don’t forget water leaks, too! Bring in garden hoses and shut off exterior faucets. Water can freeze and expand pipes, causing them to burst.
Preventative Maintenance Can Prevent Future Problems
Small investments on your home right now can save big money in the long run. Repairs are much more expensive and time-consuming than preventative maintenance. It’s better to spend a little bit to get your home winter-ready than to ignore potential problems until they become actual disasters.
If it’s time for maintenance on any of your home comfort systems, contact Mister Quik today. We get swamped with emergency heating calls once winter is here so acting now will save you time and money, and put you first in line as a customer.
At Mister Quik, we hope everyone enjoys each of the four seasons safely, but we are standing by 24/7/364 (closed Good Friday) for all your routine and emergency service needs. Call us at (317) 468-9170 to learn more about our many services and to make an appointment today.