When it comes to readying yourself and your family for winter, perhaps the Boy Scouts sum it up best…
Cold weather in Indiana means the potential for winter storms. The best way to prepare for storms or any emergency situation is to have a survival kit ready to go. These kits should be stocked with essentials and other items relevant to the season and the situation. They are good to have on hand at home and in your car, and everyone in your family should know how to use each item included in the kit.
Since winter is only a few months away, we’ll focus on creating a winter storm survival kit. Putting together a kit now will keep you prepared at a moment’s notice in the event of a cold-weather emergency. Most of the items listed below are beneficial year-round, so make sure to update and maintain your kits for each season.
Basic survival kit supplies
- Water – At least one gallon of water per person per day. Have a three-day minimum ready.
- Food – Stock at least three days of non-perishable food per person. Meals, ready to eat (MREs) provide full daily nutrition, are easy to store and last a long time.
- Radio & emergency weather radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Waterproof matches
- Basic toolbox – Stock with hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, etc.
- Dust mask or respirator
- Tissues & moist towelettes
- Cell phone & solar charger
Essential survival kit items to keep in car
- Jumper cables
- Road flares
- Reflective triangles
- Tow rope
- Tire sealant
- Plastic funnel
- First aid kit
- Extra clothes & blankets
Survival kit items to add for winter preparedness
- Rock salt
- Snow shovel
- Winter clothing & blankets
No matter the emergency, it is always important to have a clear communication plan for your family. Make sure everyone understands the plan and knows what to do, where to go and how to communicate with one another in the event of an emergency.
A storm, disaster or other emergency can happen at any time. In those events you may not have days or even hours to compile a proper kit, so live like the Boy Scouts do and be prepared right now.