At a minimum, homeowners demand their HVAC systems provide them with comfortable temperatures and humidity levels. But, research has shown that the quality of indoor air, not just temperature, and humidity, has a profound effect on comfort and health.
This is particularly true in the COVID era, with so many people spending increased time indoors. While indoor air quality is especially vital for sensitive populations, including the elderly or individuals with allergies, improving home air quality will make the indoors healthier and more comfortable for all.
What is Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)?
The EPA defines IAQ as “… the air quality within buildings, especially as it relates to the health and comfort of building occupants.” Polluted indoor air may have both immediate and long-term consequences for health, well-being, and productivity. Mister Quik Home Services uses modern HVAC technologies to improve the IAQ in your home.
Why Does Indoor Air Quality Matter?
- Average Americans spend 90 percent of their time indoors.
- More are working at home because of Covid fears.
- Indoor pollutant levels are maybe two to five times greater than outdoors.
- Those most vulnerable (the very young, the elderly, the immune-compromised) spend even more time indoors.
- Indoor pollution has greatly increased in modern times.
- Nearly all indoor contaminants arise from indoor sources, not from outside.
Symptoms of poor indoor air quality include chronic inflammation or irritation of eyes, nose, and throat; breathing difficulties; dizziness, headaches, or fatigue; and respiratory problems.
How the Basic Air Purification System Works
The simplest purification system is based on filtration, using a physical filter to capture pollutants. Systems that trap more and smaller particulate matter will generally be more expensive, though more effective. The most basic purification system will use a single, 1” physical filter to block airborne particulate contaminants. The furnace fan will draw untreated, contaminated air through the filter. The filter traps nearly all irritants while allowing clean air to circulate throughout the home. Homeowners should clean or replace filters at regular intervals consistent with manufacturer policy and domestic conditions. Some houses and lifestyles are more prone to particulate contamination, so homeowners must monitor the filters. The basic system works silently 24/7.
The HEPA Purification System
The High-Efficiency Particulate Air (“HEPA”) filter is a highly effective method for eliminating particulate contaminants from indoor air. The system was invented during World War II to isolate and contain radioactive particulates. It is now used in consumer products. The rigorous HEPA standard is defined by the federal government and requires that at least 99.97 of all particulates 0.3 microns in size or more be captured by the filter. This means virtually all common allergens will be trapped. The filters are more expensive but generally last much longer.
Benefits of Air Purification Systems
- Eliminate airborne allergens. Air purification systems in Westfield, IN, are especially useful for allergy sufferers, as they trap the pollen, dust, molds, and other allergens that trigger or intensify allergic reactions. Many asthmatics have episodes triggered or exacerbated by allergens. By eliminating the allergens, allergic responses are reduced or eliminated, and the consequent asthmatic events are also reduced. While air purification systems do not cure allergies, asthma, or lung disease, they reduce the level of airborne contaminants in the home, making the indoors a sanctuary from allergens and other irritants that may severely affect sufferers in the outdoors.
- Pet dander is reduced. An air purification system will filter pet dander from the air, eliminating unpleasant odors that your guests might notice.
- Unpleasant odors are reduced. An air purification system will reduce unpleasant odors in the home. Instead of masking foul odors with candles, chemicals, or scents, an air purification system provides a simple whole-house solution.
- Reduced utility bills. The addition of an air purification system means that the heater and air conditioner will run more efficiently, saving you money each month on energy costs.
- Less wear on the HVAC system. An overworked HVAC system is more likely to break down, resulting in costly repairs and diminishing its life.
High-Quality Air Purification Systems in Westfield, IN
HVAC technology has improved tremendously, allowing homeowners to affordably improve indoor air quality. A simple first step is the installation of an air purification system from Mister Quik Home Services in Westfield, IN.
Mister Quik Home Services is committed to improving the quality and breathability of the air in your home. For indoor air that is free of pollutants, pet dander, allergens, and other toxins call Mister Quik today for a consultation. We can discuss the options and will provide you with a free, no-obligation estimate.