I Dropped My Wedding Ring Down the Drain, What Do I Do?
Your beloved wedding ring has fallen down the drain. In a panic, you’re furiously typing away trying to find the best solution online. We’re here to tell you that you’ve come to the right place. Follow these seven steps to get your ring back from down the drain.
Finding Your Ring
- Step 1: Don’t run any water down the drain. Running water down the drain could push your ring further through the plumbing.
- Step 2: Look underneath your sink to find the sink’s P-Trap. The P-Trap will look like a curved section of pipe. You’ll want to put a bucket underneath it in case any water happens to spill out of the pipe. There’s a cozy place at the bottom of the P-Trap called the J-Bend. This is where your ring is usually safely sitting. See where to find the J-Bend below.
- Step 3: You need to locate the slip nuts. There will be a slip nut to the left and to the right of the J-Bend. Find the slip nut that is to the right of J-Bend, it looks like a large washer. If you have an older home your pipes may not have slip nuts. If this is the case, you will need to remove the P-Trap with wrenches.
- Step 4: At the J-Bend, unscrew the slip nut and let the slip nut hang loosely.
- Step 5: Find the slip nut to the left of the J-Bend. Unscrew this slip nut while holding the P-Trap so that it doesn’t fall down.
- Step 6: Find your ring!
- Step 7: Tighten back up the two slip nuts and run water to make sure no leaks were created.
If you’d like help retrieving your ring we are just a phone call away. For more plumbing tips, visit our blogs or reach out to us directly!