What are you showering in?! Water Heater Maintenance is Important
Today I want to talk about why you need to drain and flush out your water heater every year. When you think about it, your water heater runs every day, year round; between the dishwasher, washing machine and of course, shower-taking. To keep it working and in good shape, it needs to be flushed out once a year.
Let’s start with how your water heater works and what causes sediment accumulation to occur. Your water heater is connected to a pipe, which draws in water from the tap to fill up the tank. This water contains a certain amount of sediment. This sediment is anything that does not dissolve in water, such as sand and grit, as well as minerals like iron, magnesium and calcium.
What problems occur when enough sediment accumulates, you might ask.
Sediment at the bottom of your tank can…
- Prevent the drain valve from working properly
- Affect the operating efficiency of your water heater, which costs you money!
- Contaminate the hot water in your tank with impurities, since hot water can dissolve substances that will not dissolve in cold water.
- Impact your water heater’s ability to heat water, making it less efficient.
- Lead to the corrosion of the interior of your tank, leading to premature failure.
- Reduce the amount of usable hot water in your tank.
- Invalidate your manufacturer’s warranty. All water heaters need to be drained & flushed every 12 months to maintain your manufacturer’s warranty.
Now you know why you should maintain your water heater on an annual basis.
And, if you are part of Mister Quik’s SHAPE PLAN, this service is provided for you!
Enjoy this fall weather, and remember, we’re always here to answer your questions.