Considering a tankless water heater? Consult with the expert plumbers at Mister Quik to help you select the best option for your Indianapolis area home.
How to Select a New Water Heater
Every family’s situation is different from others, so there is no one-size-fits-all water heater. Selecting a water heater that is right for your home can be a tough decision with numerous factors to consider, and our educated technicians take the time to go through every factor of the decision to find you the perfect water heater for your home. These factors include:
- Type – There are many different types of water heaters on the market today. Choosing between traditional, arguably the most popular design on the market, and tankless is a the first step towards replacing an old water heater.
- Capacity – The size of your hot water heater is based off of the number of occupants in a home as well as the peak hour water demand, or how much water a heater will deliver per hour.
- Efficiency – The “Energy Factor” (EF) indicates the energy efficiency of a hot water heater. The higher the EF, the more efficient the water heater. When buying a new water heater make sure to check the energy efficiency rating shown on the Energy Guide labels and look for one with at least 1.5 inches of foam insulation.
- Cost – When looking for a new water heater, fight the urge to go for the cheapest water heater because they often turn out to have the highest operating costs. A high-efficiency water heater may cost a little more up front, but will save you money and make up for the higher price tag with lower operating costs. Make sure to check the Energy Guide label to help choose and energy efficient heater.
Why Switch to a Tankless Water Heater?
While traditional water heaters tend to be the most popular design, tankless water heaters follow closely behind. The benefits of tankless water heaters include:
- Unlimited hot water
- Advanced technology that allows for 82% efficiency
- On average 30% more energy efficient than a traditional water heater
- Reduces water heating costs by up to 50% in most households
- The air inside of your home is cleaner and healthier due to low emission technology that reduces CO and NOx emissions
- Increased life over ordinary water heaters due to coated copper heat exchanger, which prevents corrosion and deterioration
- The digital control panel allows for precise control of the water temperature while the advanced valve system maintains a constant temperature