There are a couple ways to see if your shower-head needs cleaned. First, turn it on. If the water is spraying out unevenly, the holes might be clogged with mineral deposits. You can also check the water pressure. If it seems lighter than normal, you might want to check the holes for clogs. Here are quick and simple ways to unclog your shower-head with items around your home.
If You Want to Remove Your Shower-head
- Pour vinegar into a small pot or bowl
- Place the shower-head in the pot or bowl
- Make sure the entire shower-head is submerged in vinegar
- The shower-head can either soak for 30 minutes or overnight – depending on the clog
- After letting it sit, rinse the shower-head with water. Mineral flakes should fall off.
- Use an old toothbrush and gently scrub the holes to completely unclog all of the holes
- Take a cloth and wipe off the rest of the flakes
- Screw the head back on and let the water run for a few minutes. Be sure to use plumber’s tape when you put the head back on.
If You Don’t Want to Remove Your Shower-head
- Fill a plastic bag with vinegar and place it around the shower-head
- Use either a string or tape to secure the bag and shower-head – making sure the shower-head is submerged in vinegar
- Leave the bag around the shower-head for a few hours
- Remove the bag and let the water run for a few minutes to clear the vinegar
- If there are still mineral deposits, clean them out with a toothbrush and let the water run again
Vinegar’s acids help remove the mineral deposits from the shower-head, making it a safe and easy way to clean your shower-head.
It’s also important to check your shower-head’s filter. It’s located in the shower-head’s part that’s connected to the pipe. Remove the filter screen and use a toothbrush to scrub away the mineral deposits. Rinse with water and place it back in the shower-head.
If the vinegar method doesn’t work, you may have a bigger problem. If your shower pressure is still weak or water is spraying unevenly, there could be an issue with your plumbing. Schedule an appointment with Mr. Quik, and we will take a look at it.