Simple Heating Solutions for the Cold Seasons
Staying Warm and Energy-Efficient
As an established heating & cooling company, we at Mister Quik know a thing or two about keeping warm while staying energy-efficient through long Indiana cold seasons. While we’re always happy to help homeowners with any HVAC service, we want to share a few of our proven tips so that you too may have a warm and cozy winter.
Read on for some simple yet effective things you can do around your own home.
Energy Saving Tips for Winter:
- Replacing HVAC filters on a regular basis is something just about everyone can do, and it really works. Clean filters not only help prevent costly breakdowns and lower utility bills, they make that indoor air you and your family breathe healthier by trapping particulates and other debris. So if you haven’t replaced those filters in awhile, get in the habit of doing so now.
- Utilize your ceiling fans for better circulation of warm air at home. Just make sure those fan blades are rotating the right way. Fans should rotate clockwise during the winter to suck up cooler air from the floor and distribute warmer air from the ceiling (remember, hot air rises and cold air falls).
- Keep your hands off the thermostat. Pick a temperature that’s comfortable and keep it that way. You may adjust accordingly for day and night, but constantly making changes to a thermostat wastes energy and puts excess strain on the system. If you don’t already have one, consider investing in a programmable thermostat that you can set and forget.
- Make sure your home is properly humidified. At the proper humidity levels, it can feel several degrees warmer inside, which allows you to lower your thermostat and therefore save money.
- Save money and heat your home naturally by taking advantage of sunlight. Open blinds or curtains on windows that face the sun each day, and feel your house warm up on its own.
- Winterize your home using caulk, weather-stripping and insulation wherever necessary. Look for common spots for drafts to enter, like windows, doors, attics and basements. Sealing up your home prevents warm air from leaking out (and keeps the cold from getting in), and relieves stress on your HVAC system.
- Invest in a quality heat pump. Though it won’t replace your furnace, a heat pump helps distribute air efficiently through your home, and despite the name, these pumps also help keep things cool during summertime. Adding a heat pump can drastically lower utility bills year-round.
- Just like your car, your heating system needs routine preventative maintenance. Make sure to have your HVAC system professionally inspected at least once a year. Experts like Mister Quik offer comprehensive tune-up services that can extend the life of your system while increasing its performance.
Each of these tips will help you experience a more comfortable winter inside your home. Combine them together for even more efficiency and savings!
Need More Home Heating Advice?
Mister Quik is your source for everything HVAC, so if you have any questions or need advice on your home’s system, feel free to contact us today!